All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bigger brakes for rx7 sa22c
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:38 am 
Registered Rotor User

Hey fellas

Just chasing some info on what options there are out there for some bigger brakes for my s2 while its apart if someone could guide me to the correct section of the forum or shed some light that would be awesome

Cheers

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Bigger brakes for rx7 sa22c
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:49 am 
Administrator

Apologies for missing this post. This is the right section.

There are quite a few options available, depending on how far you want to go, power levels and type of driving (street vs track)

1. Series 3 brakes: bolt on conversion if you grab complete s3 struts. Calipers and disc rotors are quite a bit bigger than s2 and change stud pattern to 4x114.3 which has more wheel options than 4x110. On the other hand it uses a large positive offset which is not always easy to find. If you get the s3 diff as well you also get bigger vented discs at the rear and a stronger diff, plus matching wheels to the front. You can keep your existing master but you'll need at least 14" wheels. This solution should be perfectly for the street and light track duties with new rotors and decent pads.

2. Hoppers Stoppers kit. This is a bolt on conversion using using brand new PBR 2 piston calipers from a Falcon XR8 from memory plus 290mm rotors. Complete bolt on conversion and you can keep your existing bolt pattern, but you'll need an upgraded master cylinder and at least 15" wheels. See http://www.hoppers.com.au/complete%20le ... e_022.html

3. FC or FD brake conversion. 4 piston calipets and bigger rotors. In theory this should perform better than the Hoppers kit due to the better calipers. Plus you get a nice Mazda logo on them if you care about such things. There a few places around Australia I've seen selling aftermarket hubs and caliper mounting, but I'm not sure whether they are complete bolt on conversions as such. This will cost you more than the Hoppers kit. Most second hand FC and FD calipers need a rebuild too which needs to be factored into the cost. You'll need 15" wheels for FC size rotors (276mm) and 16" wheels for FD (294mm)

4. Full custom brakes. Maybe Wilwood, Brembo calipers and 300+mm rotors. Sky is the limit here.

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:51 am 
Registered Rotor User

KYPREO wrote:
Apologies for missing this post. This is the right section.

There are quite a few options available, depending on how far you want to go, power levels and type of driving (street vs track)

1. Series 3 brakes: bolt on conversion if you grab complete s3 struts. Calipers and disc rotors are quite a bit bigger than s2 and change stud pattern to 4x114.3 which has more wheel options than 4x110. On the other hand it uses a large positive offset which is not always easy to find. If you get the s3 diff as well you also get bigger vented discs at the rear and a stronger diff, plus matching wheels to the front. You can keep your existing master but you'll need at least 14" wheels. This solution should be perfectly for the street and light track duties with new rotors and decent pads.

2. Hoppers Stoppers kit. This is a bolt on conversion using using brand new PBR 2 piston calipers from a Falcon XR8 from memory plus 290mm rotors. Complete bolt on conversion and you can keep your existing bolt pattern, but you'll need an upgraded master cylinder and at least 15" wheels. See http://www.hoppers.com.au/complete%20le ... e_022.html

3. FC or FD brake conversion. 4 piston calipets and bigger rotors. In theory this should perform better than the Hoppers kit due to the better calipers. Plus you get a nice Mazda logo on them if you care about such things. There a few places around Australia I've seen selling aftermarket hubs and caliper mounting, but I'm not sure whether they are complete bolt on conversions as such. This will cost you more than the Hoppers kit. Most second hand FC and FD calipers need a rebuild too which needs to be factored into the cost. You'll need 15" wheels for FC size rotors (276mm) and 16" wheels for FD (294mm)

4. Full custom brakes. Maybe Wilwood, Brembo calipers and 300+mm rotors. Sky is the limit here.

Hope that helps.

thanks mate very helpfull

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:25 pm 
Epitrochoid Shaped Head

Hey mate,

If your budget isn't super tight the minimum upgrade I'd do is a S4-S8 brake upgrade. I've had stock S3 brakes ( :lol: ) not much of an upgrade over S2 and if your running a high hp NA or mild turbo setup (150+rwkw) then don't even bother. I've had the hipper stoppers kit on an 808 13B BP and they were a huge increase over 808 brakes but not that impressive compared to option 3 & 4 that kypero mentioned.

On my last S3 I went to Brembo 4 pots off a late model evo with 320x32mm rotors. I have never had a car with better stopping power. Even my MK3 RS with monoblock 4 pot Brembos, 350mm rotors and race ABS doesn't feel as strong stop after stop!!! (Admittedly it took way more skill in the RX7 :shock: )

If you're interested in a kit like this you could spend upwards of $5k on the front if you just drop your struts off at an engineering joint and use all new parts. I chose to source second hand calipers and doing a full reco on the them, then had custom hubs & brackets made to suit. It was very cost effective and if you can do your own caliber refurb then it's not much more expensive than the Mazda 4 pot upgrade. Plus if you bid for the right auction lot you can get the calipers quite cheap. I paid $700 landed from Japan a few years back for a full set (front and rear), hubs and brackets etc is probably around $1000 then rotors, pads and bearings etc.

Last edited by maxboost7 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:40 pm 
Epitrochoid Shaped Head

Profile E-mail