All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Gear Box Rebuild Recommendations Melb.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:08 pm 
Get a Girlfriend

Cheers mate, I'll give them a bell.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:18 pm 
Rotor Junkie

The box is based on 1970's technology after all :lol: might be in luck!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:09 pm 
Epitrochoid Shaped Head

Certainly 70s based, :) even with the FD box. Cost of bearings alone exceeds the usual price of a secondhand gearbox by a few hundred, if using non Chinese stuff - before you get into the hard parts.

I'd have to check, it's been several years, socket was larger than 32 I seem to recall too - 42 sounds more in the range? The proper gearbox places typically use rather large ring spanners on that output shaft nut I notice too, if you have tools more designed for working on trucks!

For the bearing under that nut, I just used a conventional puller with a couple of feet of HT threaded rod and made a horseshoe type type of stepped base, drilled and tapped to accept the rod, rest of assembly/disassembly used typical press tooling.

If you want to see what you're getting into, dgeesaman from Rx7 club did have a pdf circulating out there....definitely not a favorite job with fiddly bits hidden behind gear clusters and sometimes a couple of goes checking/replacing selective shims and clearances.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:13 pm 
Get a Girlfriend

Suprspt wrote:
Certainly 70s based, :) even with the FD box. Cost of bearings alone exceeds the usual price of a secondhand gearbox by a few hundred, if using non Chinese stuff - before you get into the hard parts.

I'd have to check, it's been several years, socket was larger than 32 I seem to recall too - 42 sounds more in the range? The proper gearbox places typically use rather large ring spanners on that output shaft nut I notice too, if you have tools more designed for working on trucks!

For the bearing under that nut, I just used a conventional puller with a couple of feet of HT threaded rod and made a horseshoe type type of stepped base, drilled and tapped to accept the rod, rest of assembly/disassembly used typical press tooling.

If you want to see what you're getting into, dgeesaman from Rx7 club did have a pdf circulating out there....definitely not a favorite job with fiddly bits hidden behind gear clusters and sometimes a couple of goes checking/replacing selective shims and clearances.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:17 pm 
Get a Girlfriend

WANKfactor wrote:
Suprspt wrote:

Sounds like a massive pain in the balls. Toying with the idea of an OS Giken gearset. I like the notion of the tall 1st gear and close ratios. Would solve issues getting off the line smartly and be great for keeping the turbo spooled on shortshifts mid corner having more control over what rpm i want to be in.
Would having the brand new gears and thicker shafts help with a smooth rebuild?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:20 pm 
Get a Girlfriend

RX7_BEN wrote:
The box is based on 1970's technology after all :lol: might be in luck!

Lol, i'll be sure to tell them that if they start back-peddling.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:31 am 
Epitrochoid Shaped Head

The OS will require exactly the same spend/effort and the nastiness of dealing with the 1-4 section. The one we had blew 3rd, but the car it came out of was involved in a roll, cost of parts, buying 3rd and the countershaft, made it uneconomic to repair.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:54 am 
Get a Girlfriend

Ok cheers. What would a ballpark figure be for parts for a thorough rebuild? 1k? 2K?
http://www.rhdjapan.com/os-giken-close- ... -fd3s.html

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:47 pm 
Epitrochoid Shaped Head

Here's basic part prices with tax before you add all the other consumables -

http://www.osgiken.co.jp/pro_gear/mazda.html

not really much in the way of savings over a complete gearset! Have been periodically checking Yahoo on the off-chance they turn up like various HKS gearbox bits though. If you're thinking of buying, I'd probably go Streeter. RHD - unless they've lifted their game in recent years - give me the shits.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:20 pm 
Get a Girlfriend

Thanks for the suggestions and the link. I ended up buying the 5 gear set off RHD last night for 225,000 yen. I have never bought from them before, am I to expect problems??
Was more wondering what the full catalogue of everything else that goes into a rebuild costs roughly.

Apparently it's an 8 month wait on the gear set so will keep an eye out for a spare box in the meantime.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:45 pm 
Get a Life

FYI I did a write up in my build thread about the different S4/5 turbo box options.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=137728&start=660

I looked at the Giken option but still had significant power issued and doesn't resolve some of the generic box issues.

I ended up with a TR6060 (basically the new T56 Magnum) which I got for $1500 (done 2000km)+ $1500 for the bell housing adapter. (which was less than what the Giken gears where going to be when I got it prices up last).

I have all the other bits and pieces thats I had to do listed in another thread. But I think it's a much simpler conversion that most understand. I took the expensive options on some things but if you keen to make your own mounts, do your own prop shaft you would save half the cost I spend.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=248724&p=2810424#p2810424

Good luck with the rebuild path. Would be good it you do a write up as I found very little about it when trying to sum up if I could the same option.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:02 pm 
Epitrochoid Shaped Head

WANKfactor wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions and the link. I ended up buying the 5 gear set off RHD last night for 225,000 yen. I have never bought from them before, am I to expect problems??
Was more wondering what the full catalogue of everything else that goes into a rebuild costs roughly.

Apparently it's an 8 month wait on the gear set so will keep an eye out for a spare box in the meantime.

Problem I had, order the part, then several weeks later, they notify part is not available/on back-order, or some other problem. For a web based business, communications was piss poor, but maybe they've improved. Always seemed to be additional costs if I remember rightly too.

I probably have invoices for various syncros and hubs from Malloy, bearings from CBC, SKF, etc, but as said, fairly old and out of date now.

I have heard for some time that OS had a backlog, noticed there's some on the auctions though.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:50 am 
Epitrochoid Shaped Head

Found the bits among the crap, if you decide to give it a go. Assume it's the same on the FC, socket is 41mm, inner step for the homemade bearing puller is 67mm, rod is 10x1.25 and probably overkill!