All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Phil's Rotarys
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:21 pm 
Boost Me Up

Headlights : H4 type look good. :D
However,
I tested them this evening (28/08/2010) and discovered that they have a scattered pattern on low beam, and are useless on high beam ... the centre does not reflect light in a useable pattern, instead reflecting light with no centre focus/beam .... ( black hole in the middle, light in circular pattern at the edges .. similar to an eclipse of the sun).
I believe they are unsafe and would not conform to current ADR standards (pre 1979 ADR's were administered on a State by State basis, and are somewhat ambiguous).
I have tested with, and without the correct diffuser in the headlights, with the same result.

Image of Phil's Product .. note the pattern of the reflection of camera flash, the wrinkled surface of the outer reflector, and the lack of proper glass pattern configuration.

Image of Stanley ADR compliant H4 Headlight .. note the differences in all of the above areas.(never mind the cracked lense..lol)
I have a KOITO as well, but that is a later model, with ADR compliance symbols on the glass.

The advice I have received is ... Insurance Companies may choose not to pay out on your Insurance Claim if your vehicle is fitted with these unroadworthy headlights.

I have added a further photographic comparison of the differences between Phil's Lights and the Koito lights, including beam pattern comparison, lower on this page.

Bootlid Rubber : The supplied rubber is a Nissan rubber ... goes around the boot lip, not as original on the boot lid.
.................. Is good quality, and easy to fit, but does not conform to the original look. :?

Handbrake Boot : Quality is good, but the rubber is 50mm shorter than the Series2 original.
.................. Therefore is perhaps not suitable for the fastidious owner. :(

Window Regulators : Of suspect quality ( poor material ), and the lower arm is too long, which means the slide is at the wrong angle for a R100 ( window will not wind up level ). :(
............ The centre cog is a good assembly, which can be removed and used to replace the worn item in your original regulator. :D

Window Winder Handles : quality is ok, but not show quality as is claimed. :|

Badges ( panel ) : Require enlargement of original holes ... therefore, not suitable for the purist. :?

I have spoken by phone to his staff, and was promised a return call from Phil, which did not eventuate.
I have emailed Phil's regarding two of these issues, and have posted the result on the page below.

Links to other Phil's Topics
Panels : http://www.ausrotary.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=187621

Interiors : http://www.ausrotary.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=114192&start=400
. . . . . . . http://www.ausrotary.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=166361

Window Regulators : http://www.ausrotary.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=180667

RX2 Badges : http://www.ausrotary.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=179811&start=0

A Generally Positive Topic on Phil's : http://www.ausrotary.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=35594&start=240

Last edited by spurt on Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:45 pm, edited 26 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Phil's Rotarys Re: R100 aftermarket bits
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:15 am 
Mazda Approved Mechanic

Hey, I wasn't going to bring it up but iv had similar experiences with phills R100 products and ill give a better update once my parts start going on the car, iv ended up getting NOS replacements in the mean time anyways but ill still do the review for everyones benefit, whats upset me most about this guy is i sent him an R100 hub cap centre as a sample(was promised to be returned) for him to copy and manufacture and he has not returned it(which means he lost it) and hasn't even gone through with making them, i was promised a free set for my efforts. total dick head if you ask me.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Phil's Rotarys Re: R100 aftermarket bits
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:35 pm 
Searching For More Power

Location: Sitting naked in front of the computer, stalking biatches on myspace
Why do people still deal with this clown....??? I did once and never again. I would rather spend double fixing farked rusted and broken parts/panels or pay massive dollars for NOS then give this person any more of my coin.

You can still buy the sealed beam headlights from Mazda :-k Well I did about two months ago, PM me if you want the part number they were less then $90.00 a set.

As for the body rubbers. Try Spectrum, they seem to be the best fits (very close to factory) but once again they are not NOS so not 100% maybe 98%

Regards
Bill

Post subject: Re: Phil's Rotarys Re: R100 NOS bits ( & other stuff )
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:09 pm 
Get a Life

Phil is selling new RX3 nosecones.If you buy one be careful.Some are absolute shit.I got one and was perfect.I have seen others which I would throw in bin.I can't understand why the difference

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:06 pm 
Registered Rotor User

:?

Last edited by nathrxcoupe on Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:06 am 
Mazda Approved Mechanic

are they really doing r100 repo metal bonets soon?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:18 am 
Mazda Approved Mechanic

So how many Phill hate threads are up now?? :shock:
:shoot:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:27 pm 
Boost Me Up

Whitewalls wrote:
So how many Phill hate threads are up now?? :shock:
:shoot:

Feel free to post positive information.
This is not a HATE PHIL"S topic, it sets out to provide information that may be useful to members, whether it be Positive, Neutral or Negative.
Thus ... spurious, non informative posts, and/or abusive posts are inappropriate.(as per the Forum Rules).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:59 am 
Mazda Approved Mechanic

Agreed, sorry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:54 am 
Epitrochoid Shaped Head

Location: in a massive K hole with me mate Alf and mullet boy Sancho
I guess im a Clown, were do i start.

He is a lyer and a cheat pure and simple, his products 'in my experience are useless pieces of crap just like the man himself.'

Savanna Hex light trims, Dont fit at all, 2 large or of skewed and holes dont even line up.

RX3 nose cone trim, useless doesn't line up properly or match contours of the nose at all, and looks funny fitted.

RX3 seat trim in black, told me they werent making it ever again so ordered enough for 4 sedans and 4 coupes for myself, sent all the trim back as its rough material was shit house and i got better closer matching trim from a trimmer, almost identical to the original trim.

NOS RE12 badge, tried to flog it off as genuine but it was a fake.

there is more from when i was very young but its to embarrassing i should of learnt back then, this stuff above though was ordered at the same time so all went back.

I dont care what others say but his RX3 range is shit, pure and simple, the people that say its fine, are silly, they no its crap, its actually cheaper to fix the genuine stuff believe me, i have been around a while and there are places to restore this stuff now days or have a go yourself, R100 stuff dont know at all.

WTB RX3 PARTS any NOS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:28 pm 
Get a Life

I can't complain about my RX3 nosecone from Phil.But the others like Nathan above I have seen pics is just crap.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:03 am 
Get a Girlfriend

Product: RX-3 rear door
Result: Poor
Would I trade with again: Not in a million years

Searched high and low for a mint RHR RX-3 sedan door, after exhausting all options for a NOS one I rang Phil who himself told me he had an really honest door in stock, wearing all original paint and no dints whatsoever. He was asking good money for it (even by todays standards) but given the description I coughed it up.

The item arrived purple (i.e. non original, seemed like a 90s respray) and we used an angle grinder to take almost half a kilogram of bog skimmed over the whole skin filling in two deep low spots.

When I rang him to explain it, he told me I bought a secondhand part and thats the nature of the product :roll:

I will never deal with him again, and strongly advise others to do the same.

The convenience and money saved buying his parts compared to NOS is outweighed by the heartache and cost to get his parts fitting the way he says they would out of the box. My 2c.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:06 pm 
Epitrochoid Shaped Head

Quote:
Headlights : H4 type are excellent .. both in quality and original look. :D

You really think the headlights a good there good in a way for replacing the lights but they dont fit around the the grill rite there much smaller and leave a huge ass gap around the grill

Just modify your old ones !!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:28 pm 
Boost Me Up

Further Comparisons between Phil's Product and a Koito Brand Product.

Phil's Product :

Phil's on Low Beam @ 900mm :
Intense light towards RHS ( oncoming traffic )

Phil's on High Beam @ 900mm :
No light in centre at all

Koito Product :

Koito on Low Beam @ 900mm :
Low light towards RHS, Higher towards left .. notice streak of light travelling upwards to left

Koito on High Beam @ 900mm :
Good coverage straight ahead

I know which ones will end up on the SPURT.

Last edited by spurt on Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:42 pm 
Boost Me Up

yum100 wrote:
Quote:
Headlights : H4 type are excellent .. both in quality and original look. :D

You really think the headlights a good there good in a way for replacing the lights but they dont fit around the the grill rite there much smaller and leave a huge ass gap around the grill

Just modify your old ones !!!!!

The lights supplied to me fill the surround horizontally, and have a small (4mm) gap top and bottom.

Last edited by spurt on Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next