All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Information in this forum is not guaranteed to be complete or correct. If you are able to provide additional information or corrections, please reply in the topic concerned or send a private message to the topic originator.

Post subject: Re: Mazda Rx-4 (1973-1976?)
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 2:57 pm 
Uber Post Whore

Quote:
That said, I will point to the tail light positioning of the indicators inboard an tail / brakes outboard on the coupes as evidence that most Aussies put these together the wrong way around.

it is a point i often make for those with LA23,,
-however -
for LA22 there is some evidence in the australian mazda rotary handbook by john wright
with the following brochure-

indicating that some LA22's had indicators outside
i have a further picture (somewheres) showing a re12 badged coupe ( with REAPS ! )
undergoing those ( muskie? ) official tests/competition that won them gov sales
and am thinking this one also shows outboard indicators

also recall somewhere that there is something about a 'tail light standard code ' introduced mid 70's to standardise the layout and this is the reason for the change
,, and also one in the capella /rx2 to dog-bones

methinks they came both ways for different batches or markets prior to the code standardisation ( brake light outside )

the common wiring on the plugs and individual pinouts on the light hint this
and allow it to be all to easy to mix and match the lights at the dealers
----or later over the next 35 + years

i do also recall there is some special ( LE ? ) versions in japan or other markets with the lights divided as indicator / brakelight top and bottom halves
and converting our lights thus became a retro mod

also a point of interest or a poll,,, how many or what model have the magnet choke in the steering column,, and how many have it in the console???

paypal : bumpstart13b@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 6:23 pm 
Uber Post Whore

Great thread. Often thought of doing one for 1300s.

With the indicators, don't forget that often assembly line workers are working under the pump to get things done and after seeing hundreds of cars go past, I'm sure some things slipped out of the factory without anybody noticing. My Rover has the rear bumper over-riders mounted the wrong way around. It took over 30 years for anyone to notice...

Question:

In the chassis build numbers sheet:
goddam fucking imageshack, right, have to do this another way.

Hopefully this works.

Fat 4 RE wrote:

Ok, so if you look at April 1974 in the 929 wagon row. The chassis number quoted is 110486.
- Is this the first 929 wagon that was built that month?
- If you look at May 1974 in the same 929 wagon row, the chassis number is 111727. Does that mean that in the month of April 1974, 1,241 929 wagons were built?

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:40 pm 

Look at the very top left column, the chassis number is the first chassis number built, 'from car number'

I wouldnt think that every single number would have been used for certain, if you look at the first number of all models they are fairly random as in you could reasonably expect production to start with 000001 for pretty much everything sicne the prefixes are different, or some other faierly low number denoting the first numbers would be used for development and testing vehicles.

I dont know when the chassis numbers were assigned, but I do know some newer cars sometimes have a shell scrapped somewhere along the line. It may also be possible that some of the numbers were sold as replacement shells for damaged vehicles or similar?

Please, dont feed the trolls.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 2:39 am 
Get a Life

bumpstart wrote:
methinks they came both ways for different batches or markets prior to the code standardisation ( brake light outside )

i do also recall there is some special ( LE ? ) versions in japan or other markets with the lights divided as indicator / brakelight top and bottom halves

Thanks for some input Bumpstart as it is always insightful

Yes from my understanding that the wiring loom is almost identical and used in all markets... In relation to the tail lights, all 4 position for tail light have 5 pin wiring in them. (1.indicator 2.brake 3.tail light 4.ground 5.fog )
Which means the the loom could be used in the sedan (brake light above the indicators in all 4 positions)
In the hardtop the lights could be installed (indicators to the out side, brakes in the middle) or (brakes to the out side and the indicators middle)

Or as delivered in the Japan/ U.S.A/Canada Market with the (LE??/special edition as you called it) the the hardtop getting the divided brake above the indicator on all 4 tail lights

This is a remake i did of a set of LUCE (or Jap/U.S.A spec) light i made up a little while ago, and the wiring mod was so simple as you just have to remove the indicator position off the back or the glob holder into the correct pin position and cut one of the brake light cables and use a offset pin double filament indicator glob instead of the straight single filament glob (the only different the Jap/U.S.A spec was the installation of a small fog light globe in all 4 lights)

Pics
This is a LUCE import from Japan

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:45 pm 
Rotor Junkie

bumpstart wrote:
Quote:
That said, I will point to the tail light positioning of the indicators inboard an tail / brakes outboard on the coupes as evidence that most Aussies put these together the wrong way around.

it is a point i often make for those with LA23,,
-however -
for LA22 there is some evidence in the australian mazda rotary handbook by john wright
with the following brochure-

indicating that some LA22's had indicators outside
i have a further picture (somewheres) showing a re12 badged coupe ( with REAPS ! )
undergoing those ( muskie? ) official tests/competition that won them gov sales
and am thinking this one also shows outboard indicators

also recall somewhere that there is something about a 'tail light standard code ' introduced mid 70's to standardise the layout and this is the reason for the change
,, and also one in the capella /rx2 to dog-bones

I can't agree with you sorry Bump. That picture in the John Wright book that you have posted in B&W shows the brake lights illuminated on the outside, and the indicators inboard. I have the original brochure it's taken from right here in front of me. It's a series one LA22 brochure of course.

In addition, all the pictures that Fat 4 RE put in his original post are pictures from a different series one brochure, showing a series one coupe with tail lights outboard and indicators inboard.

I don't know of any ADR change dictating tail light / indicator positioning. As we know, 808s continued through to 78 with their indicators outboard, while RX4s continued into the S¥series 3 with the brake lights outboard.

All Japanese and North American market coupes got the split red / orange tail light units rather than the single colour like Aussie markets did. I believe Euro spec cars were the same tail light setup as Aussie market cars.

sv_i wrote:
With the indicators, don't forget that often assembly line workers are working under the pump to get things done and after seeing hundreds of cars go past, I'm sure some things slipped out of the factory without anybody noticing. My Rover has the rear bumper over-riders mounted the wrong way around. It took over 30 years for anyone to notice...

Geoff, your Rover is... A Rover. That means it was assembled by some limey bastard who had drunk ten pints the night before and didn't give a shit. Mazdas were assembled by Japanese guys, who had drunk ten daijokis of Suntory Malt's the night before, and still managed to take absolute pride in their workmanship and not fuck up the position of the tail lights. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:09 pm 
Administrator

for those watching, this thread will be moved into tech reference, however it has been requested that it stays in here until more info is added.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:03 pm 
Get a Life

Thanks Adsy, i have some more info to add but just got to get around to it

Can the thread be edited once moved?? can we still post in it as well after the move also

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:02 pm 
Administrator

im not sure on the permissons of the reference forum off the top of my head, but i'm happy to edit stuff if you guys cant.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:29 pm 
Uber Post Whore

Savannarx3 wrote:
Geoff, your Rover is... A Rover. That means it was assembled by some limey bastard who had drunk ten pints the night before and didn't give a shit. Mazdas were assembled by Japanese guys, who had drunk ten daijokis of Suntory Malt's the night before, and still managed to take absolute pride in their workmanship and not fuck up the position of the tail lights. :wink:

New Zealand drunks actually (shipped as a KDK). I think you are right though :lol:

So I've seen a Cosmo, 323, RX-3 and STB 1300 options catalogue/brochure, is there one for RX-4/Luce/929s?

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:54 am 
Rotor Junkie

For Japan market, of course. Never seen an Aussie one.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:52 pm 
Spitting Seals

Is there any reliable photo(s) showning the exact position of the "rotary engine" badge on the hardtop rear garnish? I ll put a NOS badge on a NOS garnish, so any mistakes are not forgiven. Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:59 pm 
Uber Post Whore

Savannarx3 wrote:
For Japan market, of course. Never seen an Aussie one.

Could you photo it and pop up the inside of it?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:58 pm 
The Bug Has Bitten

not being a smartass, not even sure but, thought garnish would have holes in it.

don,t think mine has ever been moved, if stuck, i,ll measure for you.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:29 pm 
Get a Life

Badges have double sided tape from factory

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:46 am 
Weekend Cruiser

Are there any body check dimensions available for the S3?
Have tried checking on http://www.iwankel.com/ but its like 2 pages short of the info!!! ](*,)
The info needed for myself is the distance between crossmember bolts, and what these dimensions reference off.
Would measure one, but dont have access to one as yet.
Cheers

Profile E-mail