All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RIP Gypsy aka John
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:46 pm 
Administrator

As many of you may have seen already, today we received the heartbreaking news that one of our most beloved community members and respected contributors, John aka "gypsy", passed away.

At the time of hearing the news I was shocked and didn't know what to say. I made a few comments on our Facebook page but I thought it was appropriate to make a more formal announcement on behalf of the website administrators.

John wasn't a Facebook guy. He was old school. Like me, he preferred the forum format and the inclusiveness and sense of community that internet forums have the potential to promote so much better than social media. It's why he kept his log here and the Japanese Nostalgic Car forum. He was a staunch defender of this community and one of the strongest voices in giving thoughts on its direction. When I checked his profile and saw that he had logged on very early this morning it sent shivers down my spine to think that checking AusRotary was one of the last things he did. :cry: It therefore seems appropriate to pay tribute to him here.

As I wrote on Facebook, John's DIY RX-3 resto build log is the stuff of legends. He documented in detail the restoration and repair of every single part of his Coupe (and quite a bit about his Sedan) in his AusRotary build log, which became a bible for fellow restorers and RX-3 fans. His build log can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=196808

So great a resource it was that other users created lengthy indexes of where to find his descriptions for different parts and areas of the car: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=245006

He was a great contributor and freely imparted his knowledge and help to others. He was responsible for reproducing a great number of OEM spec parts which he did for the benefit of others, helping them with their projects.

In all my personal interactions with him, he was always a genuine, helpful and honest guy. You will be missed greatly.

What people do not know is that several months ago, I approached John to write an article about his RX-3 coupe, which was intended to be Best of AusRotary Volume 3. He was really supportive and appreciative of the idea. Like the other 2 articles I have written, I was going through his build log picking out the highlights to show in summary form the transformation he created. Unfortunately, life got in the way and I haven't finished. It absolutely guts me that he never got to see a write-up on his car viewed through the eyes of a neutral observer. But from all the open praise and thanks other members have written over the years, at least he certainly knew how much his contributions have meant to others. His numerous writings here are his legacy and will be available to all for years to come.

On behalf of the AusRotary administrators, rest in peace and thank you for all you have given the community.

rotary lover who kindly shared this sad news with us, has started a thread in off topic. Feel free to add any words you might have there: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=248643

Post subject: Re: RIP Gypsy aka John
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:19 am 

Incredibly sad. RIP John.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:08 am 
Weekend Cruiser

RIP Gypsy will miss the updates on your builds.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:07 pm 
Mazda Approved Mechanic

Thanks John for your experience and knowledge. You were a great read to follow while building your RX3 Coupe.

Also helped me with my decision with my Rx3.

RIP mate.

Lyle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:57 pm 
Get a Girlfriend

...reckon I woulda bumped into him again at Classic Japan this year for a natter and a smile or two.....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:21 am 
The Bug Has Bitten

Big 1 year for a great bloke that will never be forgotten.