All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fd single turbo conversion Cost/Where to go
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:59 pm 
Registered Rotor User

So basically for the past month I've been ringing round and visiting a few rotary shops in sydney looking for the best + most cost efficient (not cheap) place to get the conversion done.
Now my car is almost bone stock - has a apexi catback and thats pretty much it (have turbo timer/AST and some of the smaller things etc)
My car is also in need of a rebuild but is just a water seal slightly letting go, but thought id get everything done while the engines out to save me in the long run (still a student, every cent counts)
So have been looking at going with a Precision 6466 setup on flex fuel as i know ill be tracking the car in the future so e85 would be great to have.
My issue is, I've been getting completely different numbers and suggestions all over the place. Anywhere from 20k to 30k. yes i know you get what you pay for, but these are all pretty reputable rotary shops in sydney so the 20k option isn't just some backyard mechanic.
The list of things
- Full race rebuild (dowling, extended port)
- Turbo set up (manifold, wastegates etc)
- Ecu (haltec or Adaptronic)
- Downpipe + midpipe
- Fuel set up for 98 and e85
- Tune

Yes i also need an intercooler and has been a 50/50 with some shops saying front mounts are trash and others saying Vmounts are pointless. Always favoured the vmount and am pretty set on getting a greddy Vmount before starting the whole build.

Point is, Im just getting an idea as to what i should be looking to pay and which shops might just be looking to make an extra buck out of me cause I'm not a leb. Having a young white boy like me walk in might make them think 'ahh daddies money' (which its not) as a few places sometimes do.
Any advice is helpful

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Fd single turbo conversion Cost/Where to go
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:41 pm 
Registered Rotor User

just went through this process myself, expect 25k for decent quality. less and you will start dropping quality on items like turbo brand, radiator and/or intercooler. Include a clutch in your budget.
30k is a bit on the high side, but is easily credible if all parts of the highest quality. but you can get it done for less. 20k is borderline, you will probably exceed that quote. if youre in SA I can recommend boostworx, but it sounds like you're not.
front mount of decent spec is fine, v mount probably slightly better overall.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:55 pm 
Registered Rotor User

Yeah I'm more than happy spending 22/23k. But that's assuming I've bought the greddy vmount so wouldn't need the extra cost for that. But yeah feel like some places are adding on quite a bit of 'shop costs' e.g. had someone quote me 3500$ for a plug and play haltech 1500 (costs $1800) for me to purchase and is literally plug and play. So almost double what I could do it for. I can install things like that or vmounts, so could be a potential option but yeah the more complex things I'm not quite ready for.
Cheers

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:48 am 
Rotor Junkie

I'm at about the same point as you. Probably leaning towards a smaller efr for drivability on the street, a lot of guys chase a power figure and end up with a car that is slower everywhere but the strip or open circuit, have you driven something with a t04z sized turbo to make sure you are happy with it? You will be at/beyond the limit of the gearbox if you actually use the flow potential of that turbo on e85, adds up very quickly beyond that.

I'm leaning towards Ric Shaw, he is close to where i live and speaks honestly about his work. Secret squirrel usually means they don't understand what they are doing. There is no such thing as plug and play if you are going to run flex or convert to sequential ignition either, you really need to nail down if loom mods/ flex sensor etc and tune are included in those prices or what.

I'll be throwing MCA coilovers and an OS-G diff center at it too, no point having more power if you can't put it down.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:31 am 
Registered Rotor User

Slides wrote:
I'm at about the same point as you. Probably leaning towards a smaller efr for drivability on the street, a lot of guys chase a power figure and end up with a car that is slower everywhere but the strip or open circuit, have you driven something with a t04z sized turbo to make sure you are happy with it? You will be at/beyond the limit of the gearbox if you actually use the flow potential of that turbo on e85, adds up very quickly beyond that.

I'm leaning towards Ric Shaw, he is close to where i live and speaks honestly about his work. Secret squirrel usually means they don't understand what they are doing. There is no such thing as plug and play if you are going to run flex or convert to sequential ignition either, you really need to nail down if loom mods/ flex sensor etc and tune are included in those prices or what.

I'll be throwing MCA coilovers and an OS-G diff center at it too, no point having more power if you can't put it down.

Yeah efr was my original plan but considering the bump up in price I wasn't too sure. I know it's more responsive on the street but the cars literally used on weekends only and will soon be tracked hopefully. Have been the passenger in a car with a t04 and the drive put 500km on the car and decided to upgrade the turbo and whole system as it wasn't flowing or producing anywhere near the numbers he wanted. Add the fact it wasn't making boost till 4k rpm. From everyone I've spoken to and the research I've done the 6466 should get me to my power figures (400/450 on pump, anywhere over 500 im happy with on e85).

Yeah ric Shaw is one person I havnt contacted as of yet and is next on my list. Wil give him a ring later today hopefully.

Yeah well by that I mean they were planning to charge 3k for the actual off the shelf 'plug and play' then plus install with loom etc. So added up more than I expected.

Yeah already running some near new coils. And yeah diff is next and will probably be added with the build. I know Marcus Reid stocks em

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:09 pm 
Registered Rotor User

troe666 wrote:
just went through this process myself, expect 25k for decent quality. less and you will start dropping quality on items like turbo brand, radiator and/or intercooler. Include a clutch in your budget.
30k is a bit on the high side, but is easily credible if all parts of the highest quality. but you can get it done for less. 20k is borderline, you will probably exceed that quote. if youre in SA I can recommend boostworx, but it sounds like you're not.

Agreed. I just did pretty much the same setup. Bridgey single precision 6266 at JC Racing and was between 20 and 25k from memory with all the other bits recommended above and i have to say, you can't cut corners or things will go bang and cost even more!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:54 pm 
Registered Rotor User

matt13b2 wrote:
troe666 wrote:

Agreed. I just did pretty much the same setup. Bridgey single precision 6266 at JC Racing and was between 20 and 25k from memory with all the other bits recommended above and i have to say, you can't cut corners or things will go bang and cost even more!

Spoke to jc racing and was quoted 27k for a basic high mount turbo with a plazmaman fmic and assuming my housings and rotors were in perfect condition to be reused. Or 33k for the epa legal set up assuming my rotors would be out of spec and with a upgraded clutch

Even after all the great information I've heard about them it's a pretty big step up from what I was quoted by Omar at raceonly. He's quoted me 23k for everything including clutch upgrade, assuming I've already purchased the greddy vmount (told him that would be my preferred route). And he's been nothing but helpful with any questions I've had. Can't seem to find any information or reviews particularly but they seem to know what they're doing, after seeing some of the cars they've produced.

But about 3 months out from getting the whole thing done. 2months till I've got the extra for the vmount then probably a month or so to take delivery from Rhd Japan. Then the whole things going ahead. Hopefully will be ready near Christmas time and I'll be able to chuck it under the tree

Profile E-mail