All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Happy 15th Birthday to AusRotary
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:18 pm 
Dr Wankel Himself

Wow 15 years for AR, who woulda thought! Proud to say Ive been here for a fair chunk of it and still log in daily!

FB seems to have lured some people away (mainly the d***heads), and to be completely honest the FB pages are better in terms of trading/buying/selling parts but that's it.

The wealth of information is still all on here and easily accessible, which is something the FB pages will never have. The build threads are all on here, the tech forum, this is still the place for the true enthusiasts IMO.

Heres to another 15!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:50 am 
Spitting Seals

So this says that it may be becoming a true car specific forum . Liked the stats as I manage a couple of FB sites . The unfriendly banter was tiresome a few years ago and even though I didn't post much I still got flamed and it seemed a lot of posters were just looking for an argument ( you have an Fc man that's gay etc etc ) . I have met some great people as well as got a lot of good info from this forum . As I call a few events at the track I don't have time for workshop wars , all the guys are rotor people and that is good enough for me .

KYPREO wrote:
I forgot to say another thank you to all of those who posted in these threads.

It's interesting to hear people refer to the "demise" of the forum as it comes up quite often. AusRotary certainly isn't nearly as busy as it used to be and the reasons behind that make for interesting discussion.

But the forum is still moving along - moreso than people probably think. At the risk of seeming defensive, I wanted to share some figures with you because they fly against intuition and impression and they paint a much more positive picture.

There have been 102 active topics in the past week. That means any new or old topic that has received at least 1 post - but most of those posts are attracting multiple posts, some over several pages. On average there has also been around 40-60 new posts per day. This doesn't include PM, which we can't measure exactly but we know gets as much of a workout as the actual posting area, if not more. I probably send and receive 10 PMs a day alone. I know PM is busy because parts and cars being advertised are selling and people posting WTB ads are finding what they are after. For my project, I have found more parts on the forum in the past 6 months than I have through the 6-8 rotary specific groups and pages I see on my feed. We get 20-40 non-spambot new registered users every week. We regularly get over 100 users online at a time throughout the morning or evening. There are many forums out there that are happily surviving on much much slower traffic and discussion than that. In fact, lots of niche forums like this one would be envious of AusRotary. Overall site traffic is also up 20% in the past few weeks which is great.

On pure numbers, we have around the same traffic as in the first few years of the forum, including in the EZ board days which everyone looks so fondly on. The EZ board forum had around 40 posts a day - roughly what we get now, but it was only in 5 sections so it looked a lot busier. I think we tend to look at the past through rose-coloured lens. This brings us to one of our current lines of thought: there are probably far too many sections on the forum now and many of them can afford to be consolidated and reorganised. If there were fewer sections, people would find it easier to know where to look and see new content. They would see that topics are moving off the front page. More on that later.

So, it's not doom and gloom at all. I don't want this to be a sad place bemoaning past glories. A lot of people might want the forum to be like it was in 2005-2009, but search back on those threads and you'll remember the reality that 90% of it was shit-fighting, off topic banter and rivalries. The forum content now is purely car related and the 25-30 active build logs on the go right now are all of a really high quality. There have only been 6 posts in the past month in off topic, so maybe 1% of the total posts, probably a lot less than that. Over the life of the forum, off topic has made up more like 25% of total posts. So while people might miss the banter, and I personally would love there to be active discussion, there is still plenty of great car discussion happening which shouldn't be overlooked. I come here to talk about cars. And, importantly, there is ZERO shit-fighting. None.

So, let's look on the past fondly but also enjoy what the forum currently offers and, finally, share ideas on ways it can be improved. There have been a number of great ideas already and we will soon get ask for your feedback on some of our own plans in the site discussion section shortly.

Member 7OC,IRC,RECCQ & announcer Willowbank Raceway

1983 Rx7 original
1989 rx7 vert
2006 Rx8 new school

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:07 pm 

Like most things these days I'm a bit slow with replying to this thread, but better late than never, proud to say that I have been frequenting this forum for a good chunk of the 15 years it has been around, Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2002 10:52 pm, Total posts: 7135.

There is a massive amount of extremely valuable information contained on this forum, contributed to by a lot of people who do know what they are talking about, and if you can be bothered using the search function most of it can be easily found.

I don't contribute a lot these days, but I try to keep the Group Nc RX2 thread in the circuit racing section up to date, try to post any pictures of old Mazda's wearing Rebels, and occasionally still try to convince people that there is no such thing as "Series" when it comes to RX2's lol

I have met some great people through this forum, had some very robust discussions, shared a lot of information and learnt a lot as well, and I doubt there is a better resource for Rotary powered Mazda's anywhere in the world.

Many thanks to all of those who have kept this forum going, hopefully it will be here for a very long time to come.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:45 pm 
Administrator

Dazz wrote:
Like most things these days I'm a bit slow with replying to this thread, but better late than never, proud to say that I have been frequenting this forum for a good chunk of the 15 years it has been around, Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2002 10:52 pm, Total posts: 7135.

There is a massive amount of extremely valuable information contained on this forum, contributed to by a lot of people who do know what they are talking about, and if you can be bothered using the search function most of it can be easily found.

I don't contribute a lot these days, but I try to keep the Group Nc RX2 thread in the circuit racing section up to date, try to post any pictures of old Mazda's wearing Rebels, and occasionally still try to convince people that there is no such thing as "Series" when it comes to RX2's lol

I have met some great people through this forum, had some very robust discussions, shared a lot of information and learnt a lot as well, and I doubt there is a better resource for Rotary powered Mazda's anywhere in the world.

Many thanks to all of those who have kept this forum going, hopefully it will be here for a very long time to come.

Many thanks to you too, Dazz, both as a great contributor and a moderator for many years. Keep the Group Nc RX2 thread going. I love the pics. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:28 pm 
Boost Me Up

Thanks Guys for keeping this up over all these years...

I too am pretty slow with the keep up (took me 10 months to see this thread!), as I'm not much for one for Facebook or social media either.

Unfortunately due to personal circumstances I have not been able to own and or drive a rotary engined vehicle for many a years. But I do often find myself coming back to this forum even just to reminisce about the good old days :)

Thanks to all, for wealth of information stored within this forum.
Search and thee will find!

PS I drive a drive a 2017 Toyota 86.... (super fun.. so balanced... don't worry its a lease car! but part of me wants to try and shoehorn in a 20Btt :lol:)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:50 pm 

:-k

\:D/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:55 pm 
Rotor Junkie

I have learned so much from this place and met a few cool people along the way. I do need to drop in more.