All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Happy 15th Birthday to AusRotary
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:41 pm 
Administrator

Great to hear some constructive views and feedback Paul!

It's funny looking back and revisiting desisions made at a past point in time. At the time they were to achieve a goal at that time, which all did, some too well.

Greg and I have been working on a forward plan in the background for the past month or two, most of your specific points are covered in our plans, so it's good to hear we're mostly on the same page.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:38 pm 
Administrator

Keiser Soze also has the honour of being the 2nd non-admin user on the phpBB forum....after "test" that is :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:21 pm 
Get a Girlfriend

...now if only Drax, Rice Racing and Maztrix would post something in here...

:bounce2:

Awesome to see the forum still going after so long, and yes - it is a veritable VAULT of knowledge and resources that just can't be equalled by FB, IG or twitter... so many intricate details and helpful people!

- Adam

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:41 pm 
Epitrochoid Shaped Head

Fantastc achievement, well done to all involved.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 11:29 pm 
Get a Life

shoggothe wrote:
...now if only Drax, Rice Racing and Maztrix would post something in here...

:bounce2:

Awesome to see the forum still going after so long, and yes - it is a veritable VAULT of knowledge and resources that just can't be equalled by FB, IG or twitter... so many intricate details and helpful people!

- Adam

^^^^^ E Mate formed via this Forum. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:03 am 
Rotor Junkie

This just prompted me to see if I could still log on to RX7Club forums... apparently I was last logged on there in 2013.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:21 am 
Spitting Seals

not enough newbies on this thread...

15 years, ay? nice effort.

love this forum.

big pat on the back to the originators and to the current keepers of the flame. two slices of birthday cake for y'all.

1991 - 1993: 1973 SII Rx2 Sedan 13b Extend
1993 - 1994: 1971 SI Rx2 Coupe 12a Turbo
1994 - ?? [-(: 1974 SII Rx3 Sedan 13b Bridge

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:27 am 
Rebuild Time

This forum has a wealth of information and contacts that have helped me over the years and although I'm out of the rotor scene for the moment I still get on here and check to see what everyone's up to. Facebook is good for chats and sale items but you can't archive information like you can on a forum and that information is very valuable.
I'll be back in a rotor at some stage I'm sure and hope this forum is there when I do.
Cheers
Chris

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:56 pm 
Administrator

I forgot to say another thank you to all of those who posted in these threads.

It's interesting to hear people refer to the "demise" of the forum as it comes up quite often. AusRotary certainly isn't nearly as busy as it used to be and the reasons behind that make for interesting discussion.

But the forum is still moving along - moreso than people probably think. At the risk of seeming defensive, I wanted to share some figures with you because they fly against intuition and impression and they paint a much more positive picture.

There have been 102 active topics in the past week. That means any new or old topic that has received at least 1 post - but most of those posts are attracting multiple posts, some over several pages. On average there has also been around 40-60 new posts per day. This doesn't include PM, which we can't measure exactly but we know gets as much of a workout as the actual posting area, if not more. I probably send and receive 10 PMs a day alone. I know PM is busy because parts and cars being advertised are selling and people posting WTB ads are finding what they are after. For my project, I have found more parts on the forum in the past 6 months than I have through the 6-8 rotary specific groups and pages I see on my feed. We get 20-40 non-spambot new registered users every week. We regularly get over 100 users online at a time throughout the morning or evening. There are many forums out there that are happily surviving on much much slower traffic and discussion than that. In fact, lots of niche forums like this one would be envious of AusRotary. Overall site traffic is also up 20% in the past few weeks which is great.

On pure numbers, we have around the same traffic as in the first few years of the forum, including in the EZ board days which everyone looks so fondly on. The EZ board forum had around 40 posts a day - roughly what we get now, but it was only in 5 sections so it looked a lot busier. I think we tend to look at the past through rose-coloured lens. This brings us to one of our current lines of thought: there are probably far too many sections on the forum now and many of them can afford to be consolidated and reorganised. If there were fewer sections, people would find it easier to know where to look and see new content. They would see that topics are moving off the front page. More on that later.

So, it's not doom and gloom at all. I don't want this to be a sad place bemoaning past glories. A lot of people might want the forum to be like it was in 2005-2009, but search back on those threads and you'll remember the reality that 90% of it was shit-fighting, off topic banter and rivalries. The forum content now is purely car related and the 25-30 active build logs on the go right now are all of a really high quality. There have only been 6 posts in the past month in off topic, so maybe 1% of the total posts, probably a lot less than that. Over the life of the forum, off topic has made up more like 25% of total posts. So while people might miss the banter, and I personally would love there to be active discussion, there is still plenty of great car discussion happening which shouldn't be overlooked. I come here to talk about cars. And, importantly, there is ZERO shit-fighting. None.

So, let's look on the past fondly but also enjoy what the forum currently offers and, finally, share ideas on ways it can be improved. There have been a number of great ideas already and we will soon get ask for your feedback on some of our own plans in the site discussion section shortly.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:20 pm 
Mazda Approved Mechanic

Woah... 15 years! Happy Birthday AusRotary! :D
A big thanks to everyone, from the creators and moderators to anyone who has contributed to this community. 8)

I'm still of the opinion that, although Facebook has it's own benefits, the humble forum is a superior tool for car stuff. For a hobby like ours, the ability to have an archive of information that can be stored and retrieved at any time is invaluable.

Here's to the next 15!
http://postimage.org/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:38 pm 
Epitrochoid Shaped Head

=D> =D> =D> Awesome

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:19 pm 

Happy birthday to Ausrotary! Been a very long time since I've been a regular visitor, but this place has many special memories for me. Most importantly, it was (and I hope still is) a place where like minded enthusiasts got together to share info, inspiration and just generally talk crap!

Most memorable for me though, was when a bunch of amazing people got together (many of whom had never met me) and fund-raised thousands of dollars after I wrote my RX7 (and myself) off in 2004. That money enabled me to get back behind the wheel about 6 months later and keep my independence during a really tough time in my life. Something I have never forgotten! Long live Ausrotary!!! :)

Hope all you original members are keeping well.

Cheers
Sam

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:22 am 
Administrator

Sam! So nice of you to drop by to say happy birthday. For those that don't remember, tassie_seven was one of our moderators who has really helped keep this place together. The way everyone rallied around you after your accident was one of my favourite memories of this place. Just a shame you never got another rotor! :P

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:59 pm 
Rotor Junkie

good job guys.

i've recently logged back in on forum for effectively the first time in a decade. I found I was wasting too much of my time & money on rotors back then so only way was to cut it completely.

Having now got back into the mazda market and checked out the forum a decade later I was surprised of the 'ghost town' feeling. It was a bit sad initially, but nevertheless there is still plenty of history and knowledge archived on here.

But having read through some comments here, particularly Kypreo's, I think there is a lot of truth to it. There was a lot of crap on here back then (some produced by me!), so its probably a good thing the forum is a bit tidier. Sounds like you've got a few good plans and I definitely think refining and consolidating the number of sub forums is a good idea.

Anyway, I look forward to catching up as I browse the forum a bit more and catching up with a few old mates in the scene!

cheers
jon

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:33 pm 
Administrator

Hey Jon

Thanks very much - it's been ages since I've seen you around!

I have put up an explanation of proposed changes to the forum layout with a poll so all the users have a chance to express their views: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=248265

Be sure to have your say!