All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Happy 15th Birthday to AusRotary
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:08 pm 
Administrator

It's hard to believe but this forum was born exactly 15 years ago tomorrow 30 May 2016.

I would like to take credit for starting it, but it was actually the brainchild of KnoWmaD, RX7SV, Perry Gehenna, TREX-7 and Steyr, who met on http://www.rx7club.com and decided an Australian based forum was needed to bring together the AusRotary community. Adsy and I joined the admin team shortly after. Most of the original founders moved on long ago, with pretty much only Steyr remaining for the past 10-12 years.

The original forum was hosted on the now defunct EZ Board, which hosted free but pop-up supported forums. AusRotary quickly outgrew EZ Board and moved to the ancient version of the phpBB forum software we use today.It was then that the board grew from a mostly Melbourne-centric forum to effectively bring together rotary fanatics from all around Australia, New Zealand and beyond in a way that had never happened before.

Keep in mind that there was no real social media back then. Certainly not Facebook and no Twitter. MySpace was pretty much it. There was just private chatting, emails and forums, with forums originating from the old bulletin boards which I remember even from dial up BBS systems before the Internet (showing my age!).

The past few years has seen a massive cultural shift in how people interact, with peoples' faces glued onto their smartphones perpetually throughout the day. This shift has resulted in many forums, including many of the leading Australian automotive forums, biting the dust.

But AusRotary lives on!

Thanks to all the contributions from our massive community over the years, this has become a resource and fountain of knowledge like no other when it comes to rotaries. The administrators feel that we have a duty, as custodians of this knowledge, to ensure it may passed on for everyone to use.

The admin are absolutely committed to keeping this forum, this community and this resource alive for years to come. We want to use this anniversary not only to celebrate the past 15 years, but to take on board new ideas, new direction and new and old faces to keep the forum going another 15 years!

There is recently been a very noticeable upswing in activity on the forum with some fantastic builds on the go. We are also working hard on a number of changes which will refresh the look and feel of the forum and hopefully offer some improved functionality and connectivity with mobile devices. I would have liked to have this all done in time for our anniversary but a lot of significant progress has still been made, including a bit of a moderator revamp.

The admin would like to thank you all for your years of continued support and patronage, for without you, there is no community and there is no forum. We would also like to the thank all the moderators, past and present, for their contributions to keeping this place ticking along for so long. 15 years really is a long time to keep a forum going. This is an achievement that belongs to us all and we hope to repay you with many years of service to come.

Post subject: Re: Happy 15th Birthday to AusRotary
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:59 pm 
Administrator

Feels like yesterday (if I had a bad hangover)!
Just to think I had surgery that day and missed the relaunch of a site, that at the time filled 6-7 hours of my day! You'll find I was a member from the 2nd day onwards of my own forum lol

Huge shout out to all those mentioned above and to the 100s of people I've met along the way.
I've met many people that have now been good friends for the whole 15plus years.

From meeting people at chaddy meets and putting faces to names for the first time, to having people pick up a part and stay and chat for hours, it's always been a great community!
The people make this place "what it is" on any given day, and with the support of the community it will be great to ride the next 15 years of wankel power!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 12:27 am 
Spitting Seals

I haven't been on here but I certainly will not be ditching for Facebook! Thanks for all of the efforts over the years for making the site what it is :)

1981 RX-7 Sport, 12A - daily
1974 Capella RX-2, 13B - cruiser
1982 Hilux, 350 Chev - tow vehicle and 4WD
1980 Datsun 200B - sleeping

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 3:03 am 
Boost Me Up

The forum AusRotary doesn't compare to the crayon chewing penis-heads on the FaceBook page. Pleased there is a commitment to keep it. I've met plenty of fantastic people due to this site.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:08 am 
Spitting Seals

Happy birthday to Ausrotary , may your day be filled with braps and flames .

Member 7OC,IRC,RECCQ & announcer Willowbank Raceway

1983 Rx7 original
1989 rx7 vert
2006 Rx8 new school

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:47 am 
Rotor Junkie

Happy Birthday to us.. it... this. :D

ACTIV8 MA - South Canberra Freestyle Martial Arts (ZDK / BJJ / BJC)

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:51 am 

Wow, on the upside I guess I must have joined when the forum was still relatively new.

Hopefully my feeling is right, and forums like this will keep going and hopefully regain some popularity with the advantages over social media.

Please, dont feed the trolls.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 12:08 pm 
Get a Life

HB AR

Heard it's going to be listed on ASX soon it's gotten so big

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 12:26 pm 
Get a Life

Made a few E-Mates thru this place, also learnt a fair bit and made a few mistakes from lounging around on here!!
Kudos to admin and the mods :D

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 4:40 pm 
Dr Wankel Himself

Happy birthday to the motley bunch that still remember their username. (how many had to use the 'forgot password' button but?? be honest!)

I think the reason behind the demise of this forum does come down to a few variables.

Forums are not dead, (as i still read a couple that are still a hive of activity to this day that have existed as long as ar has), so to think the demise of this forum lays majorly at the hands of social media is somewhat incorrect, however single make type forums (i.e. rotary engine, or vl commodores etc) seem to have faired far worse during the last 5 years than others with a more broad spectrum.

I believe one of the main reasons this forum deteriorated, is the other forums had a strong 'talk balk' feel to them, where there were many threads with daily conversations and what not in them. (a couple even have a 'chatbox').

As adsy said, with the support of the 'community', places like this can still prosper. I am still aware of it, and its one of my 'tabs' i visit daily, but i actually close it as soon as it pops up. It seemed a very sudden decline for me.

I think one of the biggest obsticals the forum had to/has to overcome is the fact it was started by Melbournians (the oz bulletin days started as a big melbourne club really), but around the time of the demise Sydney siders had pretty much 'taken over' the forum, and some people seemed to take umbrage that 'their' forum was now over-run with outsiders and the Sydney crew didnt like that most the content was proped up by them only to be 'controlled' by non sydney folk, and with the help of some heavy moderation at this time, most the people packed up their shit and went elsewhere. It turned into Us vs Them. Ive never seen the interstate clique rivalry on any other online forum group as strong as it was/is on here, so i think if this place is to ever be great again, the best place to start would be to give every state a sub forum, and to welcome back conversation with open arms. (and probably ditch that 30 day cant sell something part.. with instant free online ability to sell stuff elsewhere, it makes it feel like a real old time boys club. whatsmore, if they cant post it, we cant buy it!)

Id love to converse with others again on the forum. Im not overly enamored with conversing over facebook, and much prefer this is a medium. Facebook gives the nobody/done nothing/internet expert a very strong authoritative voice, whereas a forum qualifies that person with a post count, membership time & the most important part of all.. History.. It shows what THEY have accomplished to be able to be in a position to give you that advice. Makes it very easy to sort through the advice to take Vs the advice that is best left alone.

Might see you again sometime in the next 15 ;)

Paul
(Broomy)

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 5:12 pm 

I'm not sure my eyes are working - Broomy! :lol:

Just need old mate Slikrx and a few other clowns to come back and all will be sorted!

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 5:23 pm 
Get a Girlfriend

I just came here to post this.
Ill be back in a year to catch up on all the latest news again.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 5:56 pm 
Administrator

Glenn and Broomy posting in the same topic :shock: I think I'm having an acid flashback.

Broomy, you raise some interesting points and I'll get to them later when I have a proper chance. Thanks very much for the input.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:02 pm 
Dr Wankel Himself

Happy Birthday Ausrota :P

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:06 pm 

Happy Birthday Ausrotary! Some good comments above, definitely a lot of positive things have come from this online community.

1979 RX7